About Our Club
The Club's historian, Jack Kean, presented to the membership at their luncheon meeting on Thursday, March 11, 2010 Bio's of the Club's Charter Members:
Charter Members of the Rotary Club of Winchester
Special thanks to the Information Services Department of the
Winchester Public Library.
Anderson, Victor (Vic) - Victor, born in 1869, was a native of Sweden and emigrated to Malden. He came to Winchester in 1925 and opened Anderson Motors which was located at 666 Main Street. The dealership sold Packard automobiles. In 1931 acquired the Junior Country Club site on Winn Street in Woburn and established a dealership that represented Oakland cars (division of GM), Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Pierce Arrow. He lived at 404 Highland Avenue with his wife Augusta and had one son Oliver. Victor died in a tragic accident in October 1931. He and a friend Herman Shaw were driving in Malden and probably blinded by an oncoming automobile drove through a fence and plunged into the Malden River. Mr. Shaw was able to extricate himself from the vehicle but it was an hour before rescuers could get to Victor who was pronounced dead at the scene.
Classification – Automobile Retailing
Bancroft, George Raymond (Raymond) – George was a dry goods dealer in Winchester for many years. He was born in 1883 in Danversport but was raised in Stoneham. As a young man he worked for Miss F.J. Bowser who operated dry goods stores in Stoneham and Winchester. After getting married in 1911 George moved to Winchester and joined in a partnership with Miss Bowser until he later acquired the business. He operated the business at 7 Mt. Vernon St., later moved to 15 Mt. Vernon St.
and finally moved to Park St. where it remained until he retired. George was very active in the Crawford Memorial Methodist Church and was a trustee emeritus. He lived on Myrtle Terrace when he first moved to Winchester and then had a house built on Highland Ave. George was married to his wife Grace for 50 years and they had a daughter, Marion and a son, Dr. G. Raymond Bancroft Jr.. George passed away in 1963.
Classification – Dry Goods Retailing
Beggs, Daniel R. (Dan) – Dan was president of Beggs & Cobb Inc. a leather tannery located on Swanton St. at the present site of the Parkview Condominiums. In September of 1959 the tannery was destroyed in a spectacular fire, the largest fire in Winchester history. He was born on November 19, 1875 in Woburn, where he lived for 40 years, attended the Woburn schools and graduated from the Bryant & Stratton Commercial College. After college he entered the family business which was started by his father, advanced through the various departments and succeeded his father upon his death in 1915. In 1915 he moved to Winchester into the house he built at number 2 Everett Avenue. Dan was a 32nd Degree Mason and was a member of the Mt. Horeb Lodge of Woburn which he joined in 1907. He was also a Shriner with the Aleppo Temple of the Mystic Shrines. He held memberships in the Woburn Lodge of Elks, The Winchester and Salem Country Clubs, The Winchester Music Garden and the Calumet Club. Dan was a member of the Woburn City Council in 1902 and from 1909 to 1926 he was a director of the Woburn National Bank. He was an accomplished violinist playing in orchestras around the area. Daniel was married twice. In 1896 he married Maude E. Merrill of Woburn. She died in 1936. In 1940 he married Rubie Gaskill. He had a son Daniel and a daughter Isabel. Dan died in January 1955.
Classification – Sole Leather Tanning
Bonnell, Ralph H. (Ralph) – Ralph was the founder of Bonnell Motors Co., Inc. The company was started in 1925 and was located at 742 Main Street, Winchester. The business is now located at 353 Cambridge St., Winchester. Ralph was married to Mildred and they had five children, Barbara, Shirley, Ralph Jr., Bruce and Beverly. The family resided at 88 Arlington, Street. He was a member of the Unitarian Church. Active in town politics he served three terms as a selectman and acted as chairman. Ralph was also on the Planning Board and gave ten years of service to the Republican National Committee and was a member of its executive committee. Ralph was one of the founding members of the Francis Ouimet Caddy Scholarship Fund. In addition he was secretary for the Mass. Auto Dealers Association, a former member of the Union Club of Boston, St. Bernard’s Commandery and an honorary director of the Winchester National Bank. (Sovereign Bank) Ralph died in 1975.
Classification – Automobile Parts and Accessories Retailing
President - 1938-1939
Davidson, George Thomas (George) – The first president of the Rotary Club of Winchester was a plumber and one of Winchester’s most widely known citizens. He followed in the footsteps of his father who was an established plumber in town. The early family home was on Thompson St. and they then moved to Washington St. to the property next to the First Baptist Church. In 1910 he moved to 19 Park St. where he resided until his death. George was active in the First Congregational Church where he served as head deacon for many years. A passionate baseball fan he was president of the Winchester Baseball Association which fielded one of the best semi-pro teams in Greater Boston in 1913-14-15. George was a member of William Parkman Lodge of Mason’s, Knights Templar, Aleppo Temple of the Mystic Shrine, and past chief of Clan McKinnon, Order of Scottish Clans. He was a charter member of the Winchester Lodge of Elks. George was chairman of the Winchester Community Relief Committee, a group organized to assist the less fortunate in Winchester at Thanksgiving and Christmas. George was married twice, first to Allie Elizabeth Patterson who died in 1949 and then to Eleanor Mary Livingston. He had 3 daughters, Mrs. Ruth Hilton, Mrs. Colver Dyer, Mrs. Paul Eaton and 2 sons, Homer G. and George T. Very active in town life he served on numerous boards and commissions for 34 years. His service included the Warrant Committee, now the finance committee, as selectman from 1913-1916 and as a member of the Board of Park Commissioners from 1917 to his retirement in 1946. He was elected chairman of the Park Board in 1918 and served in that capacity until 1946. George is credited with the beautification of Winchester overseeing the construction of playgrounds, swimming beaches with bathhouses, and tennis courts. He oversaw the conversion and beautification of 12 parks and 19 town-owned plots that were changed from ugly eyesores into attractive pieces of property. The Town, in 1954, dedicated a park development on Cross St. near the old Winn watch-hand factory to honor his service to the park Department and the town. George passed away in April of 1954.
Classification – Plumbing
President – 1927-1928
Gleason, Loring P. (Buster) – Buster was born in Everett in March 1896. Loring owned and operated the Edward T. Harrington Co. a real estate company located at 39 Church St. for many years. In later years he became associated with the Somerville National Bank which later became the Shawmut Bank. A graduate of Phillips-Exeter Academy class of 1917 he enlisted in the U.S. Navy after graduation and served during World
War I. Buster lived on Rangeley Road for many years with his wife Helen. He had two daughters Joan and Suzanne. Loring passed away in October 1983.
Classification – Real Estate Agency
President – 1930-1931
Hindes, Dr. J. Churchill (Doc or Church) – Doc Hindes started his practice in Winchester in 1905. He was born in Vergennes, Vermont in 1875, graduated from Vermont Academy in 1895 where he played football in the days of the old “guards back” and “flying wedges” plays, and from Harvard Dental School in 1898. He practiced in Vergennes for several years before coming to Winchester in 1905. His resided on Sheffield Road, moved to Crescent Road and lived out his final years at Stetson Hall on Elmwood Avenue. His love for football found him in regular attendance at the Winchester High School football games. His popularity around town and his passion for football led a group of friends to establish the “Doc” Hindes trophy which went to the most valuable player on the team. Doc had a beautifully trained bass voice and sang in a quartet at the First Congregational Church. He played leading roles in musicals staged at the Calumet Club. He was the song leader at weekly luncheons for The Rotary Club for many years. “Church” was a charter member of the Mystic Glee Club and also of the William Parkman Lodge of Masons. The Hevey Block, corner of Mount Vernon and Main, housed his first office and when the Star building opened in 1914 he moved there to the second floor. T. Price Wilson, a Rotarian and owner of the Star building had a handshake agreement on the lease until Doc retired in 1951 due a problem with his sight. The Girl Scout Cabin in the Fells was special to him and he was active in its construction and spent much time there after its completion. Doc Hindes married his wife Patience in 1907. They had a son Gordon. Doc Hindes died at age 89 in April of 1965.
Classification - Dentistry
President – 1931-1932
Kelley, Daniel (Dan) – Daniel Kelley was founder and president of the old firm of Kelley & Hawes, undertakers and furniture movers. He was born in North Woburn in 1862. His early education was from the school of experience and hard knocks, coming to Winchester as a penniless boy of 16 in 1878. His first job was with the A. Winn & Son livery and transportation business. Winn and Son provided the only public conveyance available in town and Dan worked 24 hours a day, living at the stable and being on call 24 hours a day. Five doctors boarded their horses at the stable and Dan would drive the doctors most times to deliver babies. In 1890 Dan acquired A. Winn’s interest in the firm and in 1893 took over complete ownership. He studied embalming in 1890 and added that to the firm’s offerings. Dan also printed the first small card size local railroad schedule. In 1900 the firm of Kelley & Hawes was formed when Dan and D.W. Hawes joined forces. They maintained a livery stable, undertaking services, an express service and furniture moving. Through the years the firm motorized and provided fire-proof storage. In 1937 then Eastman Funeral Service of Boston acquired the management of the funeral business but Dan retained an active interest in the business. He was active in the William Parkman Lodge, Aleppo Temple of the Mystic Shrine. Dan was a member of the Waterfield Lodge of Odd Fellows, a member of the Calumet Club, and the Winchester Chamber of Commerce. He was a 50 year member of the First Congregational Church and served eight years as a deacon. His charitable works mostly unknown to the public shows his propensity for sending aid where it was most needed. He took great satisfaction in assisting worthy people of all sorts and conditions. Dan was married twice. His first wife Martha whom he married in 1890 died in 1922. In 1928 he married Isabel and they had a daughter Mrs. F. Milne Blanchard. The family lived at 4 Dix Street. Dan died in August 1940 and the following tribute appeared in the Winchester Star:
“He Wept With Those Who Wept”
Tho humble his birth, humbler he grew
This man with great love in his heart
No sickness, no suffering, no sorrow he knew
But that he did more than his part
And those who are left know a want that is great
For a man whose whole life was a life without hate
“One who admired and respected Mr. Daniel Kelley”
Classification – Funeral Directing
Knight, Frank H. – Frank was a native of Durham, Maine. He graduated from Bowdoin College in 1894 and enrolled in the Mass College of Pharmacy. He completed the course in three years. Frank received his degree in 1898 and continued his necessary apprenticeship at J.G. Gooding & Co. on Dartmouth St. in Boston. In 1897 he passed the exam of the Massachusetts Board of Pharmacy and in 1901 was also registered in Maine. After spending four years at Gooding and four more in Waltham with H.I. Johnson he purchased the Young & Brown Pharmacy at the corner of Church and Main Sts. in 1906. Frank ran the pharmacy until he sold it in February 1935. Frank was a member of the William Parkman Lodge of Masons and was a director of the Winchester Chamber of Commerce. He was a talented musician and was associated with the Winchester Music Garden. Frank resided at 4 Ridgeway.
Classification – Drugs Retailing
McLatchy, Allen Hill (Mac) – Allen, a native of Woburn, was born in 1888 and educated in the Woburn Public School system. Mac was the owner of the A.H. McLatchy Co., Inc. located at 18 Cross Street. The firm specialized in patent-leather which is leather that has been given a high gloss, shiny finish. Patent leather has long been established as leather that is considered uptown and formal. More precisely the company tanned upper leather which was the leather used for the vamp (front) and quarter (rear and sides) of a shoe. Mac worked in the leather business for over 30 years until retiring in 1947. Allen was a member of the Masons, Mount Horeb Lodge and was a life member of the Aleppo Temple of Boston. Mac and his wife Catherine had 3 sons, Allen Jr., Robert and Charles and 3 daughters Gladys, Barbara, and Thelma. Allen Hill McLatchy passed away on March 20, 1973. He resided at 28 Eaton Avenue, Woburn, MA.
Classification – Patent Upper Leather Tanning
President – 1933-1934
Nichols, Nathaniel M. (Nat) – He was born in March 1866 on Staten Island, New York, in the home of his maternal grandfather, Nathaniel Marsh, who was the first president of the Erie Railroad. His ancestors were among the founders of Haverhill and his father was one of the first to bring the shoe industry to that city. His youth was spent in Haverhill, early education was in private schools and he also studied abroad. With the untimely death of his father he started a plumbing and heating business which he conducted for several years. Nat moved to Winchester and resided at 29 Crescent Road. He later worked for heating company that installed heating systems in many of the old wooden school buildings in Winchester. Through this association in 1900 he was employed by the School Department to take charge of maintenance, purchasing, and supervision of the janitors. He also was the attendance officer for the school system. Nat was interested in methods of teaching and seating and after studying other school systems he introduced adjustable seats into the Winchester School buildings. Nathaniel also oversaw the maintenance of many church and commercial buildings in Winchester.
In 1925 he left the School Department and was elected collector of taxes. He was regarded so highly that until he was forced to retire in 1936 at age 70 he had been reelected during every election cycle since 1925. Nathaniel worked for tax legislation and reform and was responsible for introducing many bills in the Legislature. Nat served for 20 years as executive secretary for The Massachusetts Collectors and Treasurers Association.
Nathaniel was very interested in charitable works and for many years he sponsored a Christmas party for less fortunate children. The event became so large that the Winchester Lodge of Elks took over the party.
He was a Trustee of the Elks, a member of the First Congregational Church and a life member of the Appalachian Mountain Club, serving as president of the Chatham Trails Association. Nathaniel was instrumental in starting a number of the Appalachian Club camps and especially the Cold River Camp in Chatham, New Hampshire. He put in a trail leading to the camp from the Presidential Range.
Nathaniel owned one of the first automobiles in Winchester, a one-cylinder Knox. He received his registration number 1161 in 1902. Prior to purchasing an automobile Nat would travel from school to school on his motorcycle.
He was married to his wife Mabel in 1892 and they had two daughters, Mrs. Frederick Pierce and Doris Nichols.
He died in December 1947. Dr. Chidley in his eulogy talked of Nat’s integrity, courage, loyalty and kindliness.
The following Resolution was adopted by the Rotary Club, presented at a regular meeting by Dr. Richard Sheehy and published in the Winchester Star on January 2, 1948:
On December 27, 1947, Nathaniel M. Nichols, our fellow member, and a
charter member, of the Winchester Rotary Club, passed to his reward,
In losing him we have lost a very devoted Rotarian who was faithful in his attendance and a man, to whom fellowship of Rotary meant much,
Nat Nichols was a good Rotarian, a good citizen, and a good man, exemplifying the old fashioned New England Yankee, a man who spoke his mind, strict in his convictions, with no deceit in him; charitable personally, but never swayed by charity from his duty,
Such men as Nat Nichols had a great part in building our country, asking no help, being self reliant and self respecting,
We ask God to grant that the race, of which he was one, shall never fail us,
Therefore, be it resolved:
That the Winchester Rotary Club mourns his loss and expresses to his family
its sincere sympathy.
These resolutions be spread upon the minutes of the meeting, and a copy be
sent to Mrs. Nichols.
Classification – Municipal Government
Priest, William Emerson (Bill) – Bill was a former treasurer of the Winchester Savings Bank. He joined the bank in 1917 when was elected treasurer. Prior to his arrival in Winchester he was with the North End Savings Bank. In 1922 he was elected a corporator and trustee of the Winchester Savings Bank. He retired as treasurer in 1956 but continued as coroporator until 1974 after being associated with the bank for 57 years. Bill was elected town auditor in March 1922 and served in that capacity for two years at which time a change in the statute provided for the appointment on a town accountant. He was appointed to this post in 1924 and served until 1951. Bill was also an ex-officio member of the Retirement Board from 1939 until 1951. In 1953 he elected commissioner of Winchester Trust Funds and held that office until 1936. Bill lived at 9 Sanborn St. with his wife Ruth. They had one son Emerson C. Priest. Bill passed away in May of 1974.
Classification – Savings Banking
Puffer, Stanley B. (Stan) – Stan was the owner and proprietor of the Puffer Manufacturing Company on Swanton St. The company was one of the premier makers of soda fountains in the United States. He was born and educated in Medford. Active in Winchester, he was a member of the William Parkman Lodge AF & AM and the Winchester Lodge of Elks. He resided at 6 Harrison St. with his wife Amelia, his son Stanley and a daughter Ester. Stan died in July 1967.
Classification – Soda Fountain Manufacturing
Quinn, James J. (Jim) – Jim Quinn was born in 1888 in Whitinsville, Massachusetts. He attended Worcester Academy and graduated in 1912 from Amherst College. Jim received his Masters from Harvard in 1914 and had further studies at Columbia, Harvard a second time and in 1920 he studied accounting at Boston University College of Business. His first teaching assignment was at Cushing Academy in Ashburnham and he went on to serve as principal in a High School in Warner, New Hampshire and then at a grammar school in Spencer, Massachusetts. His first tenure as a superintendent was in the School District comprised of Randolph, Holbrook, and Avon. He stayed in that position for 3 years. In 1921 he was named Superintendent of the Turner Falls School system and remained there until being named Superintendent of Winchester Public Schools. Jim started his tenure as Superintendent of Schools in Winchester November, 1923 and held the position until his retirement in 1945.
Jim holds the distinction of being a Charter Member of 2 Rotary Clubs. While in Turners Falls, despite having lived there for only 1 year, Jim was asked to be the first President of the Turners Falls Rotary Club.
In 1935 the Town was struggling with the proposal for a motion picture theater in Winchester. Jim, in ardent opposition, stated his beliefs in a letter to the editor published on the front page of the Winchester Star. He wrote “Sex, crime, or violence of some sort have been, and still are, pictured way out of proportion to normal living. With such pictures in preponderance and children, on the average, throughout the United States, attending moving pictures once a week, there can be no doubt in my mind what the resultant effect would be upon our children’s imagination, health, emotions, attitudes, thoughts and conduct” (On December 21st, 1937 the Loew’s Theater opened in Winchester) Jim resided at 307 Washington Street with his wife and son.
Classification – Educating – Public Schools
Randall, Denton W. (Denton) – Denton was the proprietor of Randall’s an ice cream, candy, catering and restaurant establishment on Mount Vernon St. (Lucia’s operates at the site now) He was born in 1892 in Prince Edward Island, Canada. His boyhood was spent on Peak’s Island in Casco Bay, Maine. He later lived in Boston and Somerville. Schooling took place at Portland H.S., Roxbury H.S. and he graduated from Somerville High School. After high school he attended Massachusetts Agricultural College the forerunner of the University of Massachusetts. In 1914 he came to Winchester and joined his father at Randall’s. People came from far and wide for Randall’s homemade ice cream. When his father died in 1921 Denton took over the business and ran it until he retired in 1948. Denton resided on Lloyd St. and later for many years at 27 Everell Road. The family spent their summers on Peak’s Island for 40 years. During World War I he served in Naval Aviation and was a member of the American Legion. He was a member of the William Parkman Lodge, The First Congregational Church and he was a Town Meeting member for Precinct 3. His wife was Lucy and they had 2 daughters, Mrs. Philip Cabot and Mrs. Thomas Hoover.
Classification – Confections – Retail
Randall, Frank E. (Frank) – Frank was the manager of The Edison Electric Illuminating Company of Boston located at 4 Mount Vernon St.. The office provided a place for customer to pay their bills and also served as a showroom for appliances. The Edison Electric Illuminating Co. was established by Thomas Edison in 1880. The Edison Electric Illuminating Company of Boston was established in 1886 and in the mid 1900’s changed its name to Boston Edison until the formation of NSTAR in the 1990’s.
In 1927 Frank resided at 29 Nelson Street.
Classification – Electric Light and Power Service
Reed, Rev. George Hale (George) – George was born and raised in Taunton, MA. His father was editor of the daily paper in Taunton and this led George to love to write. He derived the most happiness from writing. Up until his senior year at Harvard he had prepared for a career in the Law. George entered Harvard Divinity School from where he graduated with the class of 1902. In the same year he was ordained at King’s Chapel, Boston. Before coming to Winchester he served in Fairhaven and Belmont. He came to Winchester in 1920 as the pastor at the Unitarian Church on Main Street. George was an avid reader and particularly biographies of which he said “the biography is the case book for the ministry”. He was most inspired by the biographies of Abraham Lincoln. His favorite writer was Gamaliel Bradford who was regarded as the “Dean of American Biographers”. George believed the thought expressed by one of his professor’s that “The minister should take the people where they are and leave them where they ought to be”. Rev. Hale considered the radio to be great blessing. “The memorial service for Thomas Edison was one of the most impressive “radio hours” to which I have ever listened.” His prescription for permanent peace among the peoples of the world is by applying the “golden rule”. Whenever possible he made the rounds of his parish on foot. He relished walking. The movies or the theater provided relaxation as well as a good game of bridge. George was a man of tolerance, faith and encouragement. He preached mutual understanding, sympathy and friendliness. In 1933 he was most impressed with how the town came together, every organization, every creed and every color represented to combat the unemployment situation. He was married to his wife Eleanor in 1917 and they had two daughters Judith and Suzanne. The family resided at 6 Ridgefield Road.
Classification – Minister, Protestant Churches
Richardson, Harris S. (Hack) – Harris was born in Vershire, VT in 1887. He attended Chelsea High School and Harvard University. For many years Harris owned and operated Richardson’s Market on Mount Vernon Street. Harris was active in town politics having served as chairman of both the Finance Committee and the Board of Selectmen. He also served on the Board of Appeals and the Planning Board. In 1936 he was elected to the Massachusetts State Senate where he served on a number of legislative committees and served as chair of the Ways and Means Committee from 1943-1947. In 1948 and again in 1950 he was Senate president.
Richardson was first vice president of the Winchester Trust Company, a past master of the William Parkman Lodge of Masons and served on the Prudential Committee of The First Congregational Church. He was married to Ann Thayer. They had son Harris S. Jr. and the family lived at 15 Mount Pleasant Street. Harris passed away in February 1976.
Classification – Groceries Retailing
Sanderson, Edmund C. (E.C.) – E.C. was born in Winchester in April of 1878. He was educated in the Winchester schools and Burdett Business College. Upon graduation he went to work for Mr. Charles Thompson, chief engineer of the original Cape Cod Canal Company, who lived in Winchester and was acting as Town Engineer for Winchester. While working with Mr. Thompson he helped make many of the early street surveys and layouts for Winchester. On the death of his father, Charles F. Sanderson, he took over the hardware business which was established by his grandfather, Edmund Sanderson. In 1906 he started an electrical construction business in Winchester which he ran until his retirement in 1933. The business was located at 9 Thompson Street. He was elected to the Water & Sewer Board in 1916. He served on this Board for 35 years. Edmund was a member of the Water Works Association and the Massachusetts Charitable Mechanic Association of Boston. E.C. was a member of the William Parkman Lodge of Masons and Knights Templar. He was a member of the First Congregational Church, a director of the Winchester National Bank and during World War II he served as local Civilian Defense Property Officer, being in charge of the Emergency Public Works Division of the Civil Defense Committee. In 1899 he married Lilla Whitford of Winchester and they had a son Edmund Whitford Sanderson. Lilla passed away in 1942 and E.C. was remarried to Arletta Martin. The family resided at 2 Dix Street. Edmund passed away in 1951.
Classification – Electric Construction
Sheehy, Dr. Richard W. (Doc) – Doc Sheehy was born in Weymouth in 1883. He attended schools in Weymouth and went to Tufts University where he received his medical education. During World War I he served as a Captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps. He practiced medicine in Winchester for 60 years and was Chief of Staff at Winchester Hospital for 21 years. Doc Sheehy was a general physician who called on patients’ day or night in the horse and buggy days. He was a founder and past vice president of the Winchester National Bank. Doc was a charter member of Post 97 American Legion, The Knights of Columbus, and the St. Vincent dePaul Society. He belonged to the Catholic Alumni Society of Boston, was a charitable past president of the Charitable Irish Society of Boston and of the St. Luke’s Guild in Boston and a member of the Clover Club. The Rotary Club made him an Honorary Life Member. Doc Sheehy and his wife Emily resided at 21 Washington Street. They had one son Richard W. Jr.
Dr. Richard Sheehy passed away on October 20, 1966.
Classification – Physician
President – 1958-1959
Symmes, Irving Livingston (Irving) – Irving was a member of one the town’s oldest families. He was a direct descendant of Rev. Zaccariah Symmes who received a grant of lands in Winchester from the British Crown when the town was known as Charlestown Village and was an uninhabited wilderness. He was born in Winchester in 1866, was educated in the public schools and was a life-long resident. For more than 50 years, until his retirement in 1939, Irving was in the produce business known as I.L. Symmes in Winchester, located in the C.H. Symmes Co. building at 747 Main Street. The family owned a farm that sat between Main Street and Highland Avenue, near Symmes Corner. The farm included “two barns, three squash houses, a wash house, a wagon house, two sheds, and five green houses. An ice house was located near one of two small ponds, and there was also a poultry house.” Irving was connected with the Fire Department in the early days before the introduction of horse-drawn equipment. In 1895 he was the call chief of the department. He served in 1895-1896 and from 1901-1910. When he left the department in 1910 he was drawing a salary in the princely sum of $250.00 a year. Symmes got his experience as a fireman running with Black Horse Hose No. 2, one of several hand –drawn carriages located around town. During the Tercentenary in 1930 Irving served as Marshall of the featured Fire Division in the Tercentenary Parade. He served as Forest Fire Warden and was also Inspector of Wires from 1900 to 1902. In 1930 he was elected Selectman, served for three years and acted as chairman in 1933. Irving was a member of the William Parkman Lodge, The Winchester Elks, The Calumet Club and was a member of the Unitarian Church. He was married twice. His first marriage in 1896 was to Annie Dean who died in 1935. The second marriage, in 1941 was to Mildred Wickson. There was one son Dean. The family resided at 10 Madison Avenue. Irving died in 1948.
Classification – Feed & Grain Retailing
Wallace, Roscoe C. (Roscoe) – He was born in Malden in January 1889. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces as a Major, from January 1943 until May 1945. In 1927 Roscoe was the Sales Manager for the New England Laundries. The New England Laundries, Inc., located in the building now known as The Mill Pond Building on Converse Place, had plants in Boston, Somerville, Winchester, Watertown, Lowell, and Springfield. In a Globe article from November 6, 1926 it was stated that The Winchester Laundry, before joining the N.E. Laundries group was known as a splendid modern facility and included the plants in Lowell and Watertown. The formation of N.E. Laundries was a consolidation of several plants meant to take advantage of the latest technology that had revolutionized the laundry industry. He was a member of the First Baptist Church and The Wyoming Lodge of Masons both in Melrose. Roscoe and his wife Ethel had 2 sons, Roscoe Clark Jr. and Leonard G. and in 1927 they lived at 59 Crystal St. in Wakefield. At the time of his death in September 1971 he lived in Melrose.
Classification - Laundries
President – 1929-1930
Walsh, Patrick T. (Pat) – Pat was born in Kilmichael Parish, County Cork, Ireland in 1860. He emigrated to America and settled in Somerville before coming to Winchester in
1880. His trade was a leather worker and he worked at the old Maxwell plant in Winchester which later became J.O. Whitten Co. on Cross Street. He was a “splitter” at the Loring & Avery plant later known as Beggs & Cobb. Pat also worked for a time in Salem, all the while investing his money in Somerville real estate which he later sold and made a tidy profit. In 1896 he joined the firm of Eastern Felt, formerly known as Cowdrey, Cobb, & Nichols, located on Canal Street, and he rose to the presidency. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus, Council 210, The Winchester Lodge of Elks, The Charitable Irish Association and the Holy Name Society of St. Mary’s Church. His charity was well documented but little known by the public. He was married twice. His first wife passed away. The second Mrs. Walsh was Mary Frances and she died in March of 1941. Pat first lived in house he built on Main Street near Hemingway. Later he lived on Highland Ave. and then for 23 years he lived on Oxford St. He died in 1942 with no immediate family.
Classification – Felt Manufacturing
Wilson, T. Price (T.P.) – T.Price was born in Cambridgeport in December of 1879 but spent almost his entire life in Winchester, moving here when he was 9 months old. He grew up on Wilson Street in the house his parents built. Wilson attended the Highland School, then a one room building. He later attended the original Wadleigh School and the former high school known as the Prince School located at the corner of Church and School Street. T.P. graduated from Winchester High School in 1898 and went right to work for his father and mother at the Winchester Star. His mother was one of the first newspaper women in Boston and was the proof-reader and a regular contributor to the Star. He learned the publishing business from the ground up. Price opened the office daily at 6:00A.M., swept the floors, tended the fires, set type, reported, and wrote ads until closing at 6:00P.M. The Star was first published on the top floor of the Miller Block, which was located between the Fire Station and the Aberjona River on Mount Vernon Street. It was next located in an old eight sided school building on a small hill on the corner of Converse Place. The Star next moved to the Lyceum Building, corner of Mount Vernon and Main streets on the first floor with the press room being on the second floor and the Star press in the basement. In 1915 T.P. and his father oversaw the erection of the building on Church Street. When T.P.’s father opened the stationery store on the first floor of the new building he took an active interest in that end of the business and managed it for many years. When his father died in 1919 Price took over the business and became owner, editor and publisher of the Winchester Star. One of his last editorial campaigns was in opposition to the abolition of the grade crossing and by raising the tracks. He never ran for public office though urged to do so often because he felt that it would hinder the Star’s independence. T.P. did accept two appointed positions, one as Registrar of Voters, the other as a member of the Board of Cemetery Commissioners. He was a charter member of the Winchester Boat Club, served as Commodore of the Medford Boat Club and was a member of the American Canoe Association. T.P. was a member of the Calumet Club and had a reputation as an above average bowler and billiards player. T.P. was a member of the William Parkman Lodge of Masons, charter member of the Winchester Lodge of Elks, Winchester Historical Society, and countless other organizations in and around Winchester. His Stutz “Bearcat” and later his Stearns motor cars were known far and wide. He was a familiar figure around town noted for his white cap and briar-root pipe. For many years he lived on Wolcott Terrace. He built the house on Rangely Rd. prior to his marriage to Frances in September 1931. They had two daughters Mrs. Joseph Day and Mrs. Richard Hakanson.
T.P. died in June of 1954 and the town flags were displayed at half-staff.
Classification – Newspaper Publishing